Login/Sign Up




Deontology vs Utilitarianism
Philosophy

cancerfish
Apr 02, 2007
4 votes
4 debaters


+ Add Argument

3
Deontology - means more important than outcome


djkk
Apr 06, 2007
0 convinced
Rebuttal
Rebuttal to: cancerfish Show

utilitarianism does not work because it violates rights and justice.

 
fetus
Apr 11, 2007
0 convinced
Rebuttal
What if there was a situation in which 51% of a state were to have the opportunity to live perfect lives--devoid of all human rights violations, while the other 49% of people were to live terrible, violated lives: would you have that happen?

Or would you rather have the situation of the US today?

I think the answer is obvious.

 
+ Add Argument

1
Utilitarianism - contribution to the greater good is more important


cancerfish
Apr 03, 2007
0 convinced
Rebuttal
there can't be anything wrong with the greatest good for the most amount of people.
while there might be some issues of sacrifice, but if they can subscribe to the greater good, they can accept that the greatest good for the most people has the most benefits.

 
cancerfish
Apr 07, 2007
0 convinced
Rebuttal
Rebuttal to: djkk Show

rights and justice are only tacit agreements, thus, the greater good should be more important, than an interpretation on what should be law.

 
whyimhot
Apr 16, 2007
0 convinced
Rebuttal
Rebuttal to: fetus Show

First of all the comment "or would you rather have the U.S. system" proves utilitarianism is superior because utilitarianism is the basis for democracy and the reason we hold elections in the U.S.. Second, your percentage senario is unrealistic and makes no sense in todays society. The simple fact is giving human rights to the other 49 percent is the greatest good as it does not harm anyone elese and we see the greatest good on all sides.

 


Use these tags to find similiar debates

debate equality god wins life love love wins personal belief philosophy religion straight together abortion actions america animal animals atheism Atheist belief chicken Christianity Death debate deontology ethics evil evolution existence Faith freedom god good happiness happy hope human humanity Humans justice Kill knowledge law lgbtq life logic Love meaning men mind morality morals murder peace people perception philosophy politics punishment reality religion rights science Sex Smart society suicide theism think time truth war world wrong